The once popular trend of rail-thin figures has begun to subside, with many Hollywood celebrities now showing off curvier, more shapely physiques. Thanks in part to stars like Kim Kardashian and Jennifer Lopez, a round and plump backside has become one of the most in-demand features by men and women alike. Unfortunately, genetics, weight fluctuation, and aging can make it extremely difficult – if not impossible – to achieve this look naturally, leading many people to pursue cosmetic surgery to enhance their rear ends. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jaime S. Schwartz is thrilled to help his Beverly Hills, CA patients reach their ultimate aesthetic goals through a variety of innovative and exciting procedures, including his signature LipoLift® Brazilian butt lift (BBL). Read on to learn more about how a fat transfer and BBL can give you the perky butt you’ve always wanted!
What’s a Brazilian butt lift?
The Brazilian butt lift, also referred to simply as BBL, is a cosmetic fat transfer procedure designed to augment the rear end without the use of implants. Although a BBL can certainly give the rear end a more lifted, perky appearance, it is not a lift procedure in the same sense as a breast lift or thigh lift, which involves the removal of excess skin.
During a Brazilian butt lift procedure, Dr. Schwartz will use liposuction to harvest fat from one area of the patient’s body that will be purified using a centrifuge. Finally, the fat will be strategically injected into the buttocks, as Dr. Schwartz sculpts a beautiful, shapely, contoured backside.
What does a BBL do?
For patients seeking a rounder, perkier, more appealing shape, the BBL is a fantastic option with a variety of attractive features and benefits. Some of the most exciting aspects of Brazilian butt lift include:
- Effectiveness: When performed properly by a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon, the vast majority of the fat cells that are transferred to the buttocks during a BBL survive, allowing patients to achieve a relatively dramatic and gorgeous new look. This makes Brazilian butt lift a fabulous option for men and women who are unable to achieve their desired shape through diet and exercise alone.
- Natural option: With the increasing popularity of an all-natural lifestyle, the BBL provides patients with an alternative to traditional augmentation procedures, which often use artificial implants. Brazilian butt lift utilizes a patient’s own fat, obviating the need for synthetic materials and/or foreign bodies.
- Long-lasting: The results of a Brazilian butt lift can be enjoyed for many years. However, patients must remember that the aging process cannot be stopped. Furthermore, future weight fluctuations can greatly impact the results of your BBL, as the newly transferred fat cells can swell – or shrink – with weight gain or loss. To prolong your results, it is important to maintain a stable weight through a healthy diet and regular exercise.
- Two-fold procedure: One of the added benefits of a Brazilian butt lift, in addition to enhancing the shape of the backside, is that patients are often left with a slimmer and more attractive contour at the site of the liposuction fat removal.
- Improved confidence: For many men and women, a flat or sagging backside can be a big source of anxiety and embarrassment. Brazilian butt lift surgery can help your clothes fit better and give your self-esteem a major boost!
What is the recovery like after a Brazilian butt lift?
Following your BBL procedure, you can expect some level of discomfort, swelling, and bruising for the first several days. It is important to remember that you have technically undergone two separate procedures and will need to care for both the liposuction and fat transfer sites. Dr. Schwartz will provide you with prescriptions, compression garments, and detailed instructions to help relieve your symptoms and promote efficient, proper healing. It is essential that you follow your postoperative guidelines carefully to ensure a complete recovery and ideal results.
One of the most important aspects of BBL recovery is to avoid putting direct pressure on your buttocks for the first several weeks. This gives the newly transferred fat cells their best chance of survival. A small percentage of fat cells will die following the procedure, but this is normal, and Dr. Schwartz takes this into account when determining how much fat to initially transfer. Driving, sitting in certain positions, and sleeping on your back should be avoided as much as possible, but a donut pillow or nursing pillow may be used in some situations.
Many patients choose to take about two weeks off of work after a Brazilian butt lift. After about 3 – 4 weeks, the majority of the swelling should have resolved. However, it may take up to six months for your final results to become visible.
Am I a good candidate for BBL?
For the most part, men and women who are in good health, at a stable weight, and do not smoke can be considered for BBL surgery. Patients should also have an adequate amount of excess fat that can be harvested for the transfer. Extremely thin patients with a very low body fat percentage may be better suited to butt augmentation with gluteal implants or Renuva®, a freeze-dried injectable fat solution.
The best way to determine with certainty whether or not you may qualify for a Brazilian butt lift is to be evaluated by a highly experienced and knowledgeable provider. Call our convenient Beverly Hills, CA office today to schedule your one-on-one consultation with exceptional board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jaime S. Schwartz, and discover how a Brazilian butt lift may be the solution for getting the stunning, full, shapely backside you’ve always wanted!