What Is The Difference Between Primary And Secondary Vaginismus?
Pain with intercourse isn’t particularly unusual, though it is often misdiagnosed, left untreated, or not discussed at all. However, this frustrating issue can wreak havoc on a woman’s life and even cause severe marital problems. In many cases, pain with vaginal penetration is actually caused by a little-known condition called vaginismus, which may be either primary or secondary. Internationally renowned board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jaime S. Schwartz is committed to helping women get reliable, long-lasting relief from their painful and disruptive symptoms with a revolutionary vaginismus treatment option in Beverly Hills, CA. Learn more about vaginismus here, including what separates primary and secondary vaginismus and whether Dr. Schwartz’s signature treatment may be right for you.
What is vaginismus?
Vaginismus is an often misunderstood or misdiagnosed condition that is primarily characterized by pain with vaginal penetration, including sexual intercourse, pelvic exams, and the use of tampons. The pain itself is associated with an uncontrollable spasm or contraction of the pelvic floor muscles and other structures, which can be caused by a physical defect, psychological factors, or both.
What causes vaginismus?
There are a number of potential causes of vaginismus, which is oftentimes a multifactorial condition — meaning more than one issue is contributing to the problem. Causes of vaginismus can be both physical and/or psychological and may include:
- Trauma or previous pelvic surgery
- Childbirth/vaginal delivery
- Hormone changes (menopause, vaginal dryness, etc.)
- Certain medications
- Fear of intercourse
- Psychologic stress/anxiety
- Previous emotional trauma
- History of sexual abuse
- Relationship problems
- Body image disorder
- No obvious cause
Regardless of the cause of vaginismus, many women suffer from progressively worsening symptoms and a seemingly unbreakable cycle due to the anticipation of recurrent pain with each episode of vaginal penetration.
Primary vaginismus vs. secondary vaginismus
A common misconception regarding vaginismus is that it is something a woman is born with. While this is true in some cases, many women have a normal and healthy sex life before developing vaginismus at a later time. Based on the onset of your symptoms, Dr. Schwartz may determine that you are suffering with either primary or secondary vaginismus:
- Primary vaginismus: Patients with primary vaginismus have experienced pain, discomfort, or spasms with vaginal penetration from an early age. Many girls notice their symptoms during their first gynecologic exam, first attempt at tampon use, or first sexual experience. For women with primary vaginismus, their initial symptoms cause hesitancy during future encounters, which can worsen the problem. It is thought that primary vaginismus is among the leading causes of unconsummated marriages.
- Secondary vaginismus: In some cases, women who have had no problems with vaginal penetration go on to develop vaginismus, which is characterized as secondary vaginismus. This may be the result of hormone fluctuations, marital problems, vaginal childbirth, or another factor. For some women, there is no obvious cause for developing secondary vaginismus.
In either case, vaginismus symptoms can be devastating for the woman, her partner, and their relationship as a whole. Fortunately, Dr. Schwartz’s signature vaginismus treatment in Beverly Hills, CA, can help.
How is vaginismus treated?
With an approximate success rate of over 97%, Dr. Schwartz’s signature Beverly Hills vaginismus treatment has helped women from all over the world find dramatic, long-lasting relief from vaginismus symptoms. The treatment itself involves the precise injection of neuromodulators (BOTOX®) into the pelvic floor muscles. This allows the muscles to relax, eliminates uncontrolled muscle spasms, and results in pain-free vaginal penetration. Paired with vaginal dilators, which can be used as early as ten days after the procedure, vaginismus BOTOX injections can retrain the muscles and mind to give women a lifetime of relief in a single treatment.
With Beverly Hills vaginismus injections, you can finally relax and enjoy the life you deserve
Whether you’ve had primary vaginismus since your teenage years or have only recently developed secondary vaginismus, we can help. To learn more about the life-changing benefits of vaginismus neuromodulation in Beverly Hills, CA, call to schedule your private consultation with award-winning board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jaime Schwartz today. We look forward to helping you get the much-needed relief you deserve and enjoy a more pleasurable, fulfilling sex life once and for all.