Who Is The Ideal Candidate For Liposuction?
With the rising popularity of cosmetic surgery year after year, most of us are at least somewhat familiar with one of the most popular cosmetic procedures, liposuction. However, you may still have questions about how liposuction works, how much fat can be removed during liposuction, and who is a good candidate for fat removal surgery. Beverly Hills board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jaime S. Schwartz has many years of experience performing the most advanced liposuction techniques available and can help you determine if you qualify for liposuction and, if so, what results may be possible for you.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a transformative body contouring procedure performed for the purpose of removing stubborn fat cells to help patients achieve a slimmer, smoother, more appealing physique. Liposuction is commonly used to enhance one or more of the following areas:
- Under the chin/neck
- Upper arms
- Male chest
How is liposuction performed?
Depending on the nature of your concerns and your specific goals, Dr. Schwartz will recommend the most appropriate type of liposuction for you. Two of the most effective and frequently used methods for liposuction in Beverly Hills, CA include:
- Tumescent liposuction: Also known as “super-wet” liposuction, tumescent liposuction involves the injection of a fluid solution containing saline and anesthetic prior to fat removal. This specialized solution makes the procedure gentler and more efficient. In some cases, tumescent liposuction can be performed while the patient is under local anesthesia, allowing them to enjoy a less extensive recovery period. Super-wet liposuction is typically reserved for patients who have a larger volume of fat that needs to be removed.
- Suction-assisted liposuction: Most people are more familiar with traditional suction-assisted liposuction, during which Dr. Schwartz manually breaks up and removes the fat using a hand-held tube, or cannula. This technique allows for extreme precision, making it particularly fitting for smaller areas, such as the knees, face, or chin.
Who qualifies for liposuction?
First and foremost, patients considering liposuction should have realistic expectations for their results and understand that liposuction is not a substitute for weight loss. Ideally, liposuction candidates should already be at or near a healthy weight and have maintained that weight for at least six months prior to surgery. In addition, the best candidates for liposuction fat removal in Beverly Hills, CA should be:
- In good overall health
- At a stable, healthy weight
- Have stubborn pockets of fat that do not respond to diet and exercise appropriately
- Have already attempted to address their concerns with diet and exercise
- Have good skin elasticity
- Have realistic expectations for their results
Does liposuction help with loose skin?
No. Men and women who undergo liposuction should have good skin elasticity so that the skin can shrink to the body’s new contour once the fat has been removed. For patients with loose skin or significant skin laxity, liposuction may actually make these concerns worse. If you struggle with both stubborn fat as well as loose skin, Dr. Schwartz may recommend combining liposuction with an appropriate skin removal procedure – such as a tummy tuck or thigh lift – to address both types of concerns and achieve a more stunning outcome.
Is liposuction permanent?
The fat cells removed through liposuction are gone from the body, but new fat cells can be generated over time and with weight gain. Furthermore, weight gain can cause the remaining fat cells in a previously treated area to become enlarged. The best way to ensure your liposuction results last for years to come is to avoid future weight fluctuation. For this reason, women are encouraged to defer their liposuction until after they are finished having children.
Rid yourself of stubborn fat and get the stunning, sexy, slim figure of your dreams with liposuction in Beverly Hills, CA
If you are frustrated by a lack of results despite your best efforts with diet and exercise, you may be a candidate for surgical fat removal using liposuction. The best way to determine with certainty if you qualify for liposuction and how it may make the body of your dreams possible is to be evaluated by a highly qualified and experienced plastic surgeon. Call us to schedule your private Beverly Hills liposuction consultation with internationally renowned board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jaime S. Schwartz, and take the first step toward your stunning transformation today!