Will After Weight Loss Surgery Reduce Excess Skin?
There is no question that losing a significant amount of weight is a life-changing accomplishment that should be celebrated. For many men and women, however, the excitement is often dampened by a lingering and cumbersome reminder of their former body. Loose, excess skin is one of the most common side effects of massive weight loss and can be frustrating, embarrassing, and physically problematic for patients. For some, finding clothing that fits over their sagging abdominal skin is a struggle, while others suffer from recurrent chafing, rashes, and infections due to hanging skin. Furthermore, having excess skin after weight loss can be emotionally devastating and prohibit patients from enjoying the results they worked so hard to achieve.
Internationally recognized board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jaime S. Schwartz has helped countless Beverly Hills, CA men and women finally complete their full cosmetic transformation through after weight loss surgery. Dr. Schwartz understands the sensitive and complex nature of the weight loss journey and takes great care to customize each patient’s treatment plan to meet his or her individual needs and goals. Through a variety of innovative and highly effective after weight loss skin removal procedures and other treatments, Dr. Schwartz is able to help patients restore a natural, stunning, and contoured physique.
What surgeries will I need after weight loss?
While each patient’s surgical needs will vary somewhat, many men and women experience a similar pattern of loose skin after weight loss. To reduce sagging skin, Dr. Schwartz will tailor a custom treatment plan to meet your specific needs and goals. Some of the most effective and commonly performed procedures to remove excess skin after weight loss include:
- Tummy tuck: Also known as an abdominoplasty, the tummy tuck is an effective way to address sagging abdominal skin. While a tummy tuck can be performed on its own, it is often combined with additional procedures as part of after weight loss surgery.
- Lower body lift: This circumferential procedure is designed to address excess skin on the abdomen and buttocks. In some cases, the lower body lift may also be used to enhance the contour of the hips, waist, and lower back.
- Upper body lift: Because this procedure can vary greatly from patient to patient, it is essential that it be performed by a highly experienced, skillful, and knowledgeable plastic surgeon. An upper body lift with Dr. Schwartz may include chest contouring to address gynecomastia in men or a breast lift and breast augmentation to correct lost volume and excess skin in female patients, as well as other treatments to target additional areas of loose skin.
- Arm lift: Formally known as brachioplasty, an arm lift is often sought out by after weight loss patients to reduce hanging skin on the upper arm.
- Thigh lift: Similar to an arm lift, the thigh lift helps remove sagging, excess skin and achieve a smoother, more appealing contour.
During your initial consultation in our state-of-the-art Beverly Hills, CA office, Dr. Schwartz will take ample time to thoroughly evaluate your case, examine your areas of concern, discuss all of your options, and answer your questions at length. Based on this information, Dr. Schwartz may recommend one or more of these after weight loss procedures, as well as additional treatments and therapies to help you achieve your ultimate aesthetic goals.
What is the recovery like after skin removal surgery?
While after weight loss procedures are often fairly extensive, Dr. Schwartz has developed original and innovative techniques and protocols designed to make the recovery process as quick, convenient, and comfortable as possible. As one part of his signature Schwartz Rapid Recuperation method, Dr. Schwartz utilizes a more mild form of anesthesia to avoid the possible complications and lengthier recovery often associated with general anesthesia. During your consultation and preoperative appointments, Dr. Schwartz and his knowledgeable and caring team will go over all of the aspects of your surgery, including what to expect before, during, and after your procedure, what kind of scarring you will have, and what results may be possible.
How do I find the best skin removal surgeon in Beverly Hills, CA?
With the complex and individualized nature of after weight loss skin removal surgery, choosing a highly experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is essential. Dr. Jaime S. Schwartz is internationally recognized for his surgical experience, methods, and results, and has been featured in many publications and programs worldwide. Having performed a multitude of transformative after weight loss procedures, Dr. Schwartz is extremely familiar with the complexities and nuances of skin removal surgery.
Call our office today to schedule your one-on-one consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jaime S. Schwartz, and take the first step toward getting the body you have always wanted – and the one you’ve already worked so hard to achieve!